Powered by Blogger.

ramble: on personal style and not fitting into boxes



How can we ever truly and flawlessly achieve our ideal aesthetic? For me this is a constant question – I’m unhappy with how my hair looks, or with the limited wardrobe I have and the lack of money to change it, or it’s just one of those days where everything seems to clash horribly. So, I have been trying to reshape my perception of my “ideal aesthetic” and focus less on trying to assimilate to the aesthetic I want, and instead let all the things I love become the aesthetics of me. This is a really difficult thing for lots of us, and I know that for me, it takes all of my energy just to convince myself that I don’t need to look a certain way or dress a certain way in order to be myself.

Dressing in a way that makes me comfortable is so versatile – I can be comfortable and completely relaxed in my pjs or in a pair of high waisted purple trousers and a bodysuit. Both are completely me, and both represent different sides of my personality as well.


There is a lot of pressure from mainstream fashion and media to wear certain clothes or fit into a subsection of a certain style of dressing. Personally though, I could never commit to that. I love loose flowing dresses and skirts with intricate patterns and 70s era fringe on all my accessories, but at the same time I don’t think I could ever live without cigarette trousers or blazers. Some people are drawn to one particular style and honestly, I’m jealous of them because I just love it all. I want to wear everything because I feel like different styles bring out different sides of my personality.


This expression of personal style is why I love blogging and the blogging community so much, as you can really show off the many layers there are to your personal style – something that can be as complex as our personalities.



I would encourage you to explore all aspects of who you are and to incorporate everything you love about yourself into your personal style – because that is really what makes it personal and authentic. Don’t be afraid of change either, our tastes are constantly changing and improving so as with any kind of growth, embrace it and roll with it because you will start to (hopefully) flourish in your personal style. It will be a true reflection of you and your one of a kind quality.

I know this post has been a little scattered, I decided to share some of the thoughts I tend to have about fashion and style with you in hopes that you may feel a little more confident or reassured that you don't have to have one set type of style in order to express yourself.
Lots of love,
Jessica. x

No comments