Powered by Blogger.

Halsey - BADLANDS review | stylenua

Hey everyone,
If you didn’t know, I’m a huge music fan, and recently one of my favourite artists, Halsey, released her first full length album, BADLANDS. I had been looking forward to this album for a long time, so I felt as though I had to write a little something about it to share it with you all. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to purchase it on iTunes yet, so the release of the album (and the deluxe version!!) on Spotify has practically saved my life.


Where to start with BADLANDS? First let me say that to people who had heard of Halsey before now, some of the songs on the album are familiar- some being from her Room 93 EP: such as Ghost and Hurricane, and some others being songs that she has performed live many times before. The previously unheard (by me, at least) songs, though, are also phenomenal.




The album opens with the captivating Castle, and lead into a world of mystery and sensual beats, the deluxe version ending with a haunting cover of I Walk the Line by Johnny Cash. Halsey’s unforgettable vocals lead you through the “Badlands” on a gritty journey of self-discovery and turmoil.  Albums like this have an addictive quality to them, you find yourself craving the deep beats that power the songs, and it’s one of the best feelings in the world, just behind the feeling of live music.


Halsey has some extremely powerful messages in her songs: especially so in New Americana and Strange Love. If you have listened to Strange Love, you may be wondering what kind of powerful messages I got from it. You have a point, it doesn’t seem like the type of song to teach a brilliantly moral message, but it does if you think about the lyrics: they reflect modern society’s obsession with the lives of public figures and the very personal information that people want to find out about these public figures. The way she expresses this may be a bit unusual, but that is the message I got from the song, regardless.


If you are going to buy any album this month, it should be this one. I honestly cannot express how much I adore this album, and I am desperately hoping Halsey plays a show in Ireland in the near future because I can only imagine how thrilling the songs from this album must be to hear live. In case you were wondering what my favourite songs from the album are, they are Colors (and Colors pt. II) and Strange Love. If you’re apprehensive about buying an album from an artist you may not have heard of, check out Halsey on YouTube. I hope you enjoyed this little review, I really enjoy reviewing music and books, so let me know if you want to see more of that!
Much love,

JMG, stylenua.

No comments